The privacy commissioner of Canada defines privacy as an individual's right to maintain control over the uses and circulation of his or her personal information.
Our commitment to you
At Cooper Financial, our commitment to protecting the confidentiality and security of our client's personal information is an integral part of our corporate values. Cooper Financial has adopted the ten privacy principles established by the Canadian Standards Association Model Code for the protection of personal information. These ten principles form part of the Personal Information and Electronic Documents Act. This Act establishes the rules governing the collection, use and disclosure of personal information.
Why we ask for personal information
We ask for your information to establish and service your needs as a client. The personal information we ask for depends on the product or service you are requesting. For all products and services provided by Cooper Financial. we need your name, address and some form of identification.
Here is why we need other information we ask you provide:
Birthdate: By providing us with your birthdate we are able to better identify you and ensure that no one is trying to impersonate you. We may also use your birthdate to determine your eligibility for products and or services that you are requesting.
Financial Information: By providing us with your financial information, we are able to assess your eligibility for certain products and services.
Health Information: Your health information is required for certain products and services to ensure you are eligible for coverage.
Our Ten Privacy Principles
- Accountability: All employees of Cooper Financial are accountable for protecting the confidentiality and security of all personal information under their control.
- Identifying Purposes: We will identify the purposes for which your personal information is being collected either before or at the time of collection.
- Consent: We will explain the reason for and obtain your consent before using your personal information for any purpose, except where otherwise required or permitted by law. Your medical and health information will only be shared with your consent. Cooper Financial does not sell, trade or rent its clients' personal information to any organization for any purpose.
- Limiting collection: We will limit the collection of your personal information to only those details that are necessary for the purposes identified
- Limiting use disclosure and retention: We will only use your personal information for the identified purposes, unless you have consented otherwise or when its required or permitted by law. Your personal information will only be retained for the time necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and to meet any legal or regulatory requirements.
- Accuracy: We will keep your personal information as accurate, complete and up-to-date as possible to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. You have the right to challenge the accuracy and completeness of your personal information and amend it as necessary.
- Safeguards: We will protect the personal information we collect from you with security safeguards. We have measures in place to secure our paper files and computer systems.
- Openness: We will make available to you the information about our policies and practices relating to the management of your personal information.
- Access: We will give you access to your personal information at your request, subject to any legal or business restrictions.
- Challenging Compliance: You may contact us with any questions, concerns or suggestions with respect to our ten privacy principles.